Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Jo: White Tree Fabrics Halloween!!

For the past few years it has become a bit of a tradition for us to dress up and drink jelly shots. This year the theme was witches and wizards. Initially my thoughts turned to Harry Potter characters, however this turned out to be a popular idea. Next my mind turned to Disney, and the evil Queen from Snow White and the old hag witch she turns into to poison Snow White. As I couldn't decide which character to be the host of the party suggested, 'why not do both, I'm sure you can figure it out!' Challenge accepted!

This was my influence for my costume. With the help of White Tree Fabrics I ordered this pattern to work from and this was my main fabric.

The thought processes begun and I decided to split the costume in half to have one side as the Queen and the other as the old hag witch.
So first step was to spend a long time cutting out my pattern pieces needed. I had to mix up some of the pieces from different coats, mainly coat B pieces were used however i used the sleeves from coat C. When all was cut I tried to follow the layplan however still managed to fit it all in, I cut out the main fabric and the black lining.

With this project I actually decided to attempt to follow the instructions as it seemed pretty complicated. I assembled the bodice and the lining for the bodice and attached them together. I was meant to do the sleeves next, but as I hate putting sleeves in, almost as much as zips, I left them until last.

The only issue I found with the purple fabric is that the pattern pieces tended to stretch out of shape, however, I did love the glitter that was left all over my floor from cutting it!
I then ironed interfacing onto my collar, half of the collar was black and the other was white. This was the main change I used to symbolise the difference between the 2 sides of the character.

I then attached the skirt part of the jacket including lining. I then hemmed the edges. I attached the sleeves making sure one sleeve was lined in black but the Queen side was lined in purple. 

I then added a cape using the original pattern but the front of the caplet pattern, this was very simple to sew and hem and I attached it with a few hand stitches incase I wanted to take it off for future costumes. So far looking good. 

And final touches included a hood that was tight one side and baggy the other. This was a seperate item that was not attached to the jacket. It involved some gathering around the neck on one side to make it more of a close fit and hair grips. I made a mini crown out of card and a grey wig to complete the costume.

And the finished look, teamed with some clever make up and a black skirt and top underneath.

Thanks for reading guys, and here's a treat for you,
20% off and free p&p when you order from:

Just enter the code:
 "SIY challenge"

Thanks for reading

1 comment: